[r-t] Shades of truth

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Oct 1 00:12:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
> You have not mentioned Changes. Therefore a peal of Minor with 5040 rows but
> only 720 changes would be [U,R,C]. [M] would also be true if you rang each
> row 8 times before changing. Is this still change-ringing?

Truth isn't the only consideration in deciding what is or is not
change ringing.

But the example you give above is much closer to the method side of
things than the truth side, and would properly be better handled in
that context. Though I, and I suspect Richard, would even there prefer
to approach it as being the sort of change ringing that includes such
constructions versus the sort that doesn't: just because I don't think
I'd enjoy ringing such a thing doesn't mean I'd want to prevent those
that do from indulging their interests.

--
Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org>
"When I learned to program it was the documentation that you