[r-t] Call names (was Asymmetric Doubles)

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Aug 6 18:09:53 UTC 2010

OK, consider the little surprise cinques method &-5-4.5-5.36.4-4.5-4-8, 1
The pn is identical to bristol major, and it has a regular mx lead end.
(This is a silly method, with 8 blows at the back; one could probably
modify it to get something more reasonable, but this is irrelevant).

Ask a ringer-on-the-street what the natural calls should be, and I suspect
you will hear:
bob=14E, single=1234E

However, according to the proposed "legislation", the former is a single
and the latter is a bob!

I completely agree with Philip on this.  Bobs and singles are merely names
for calls, and there is no need for definitions.  How many innovative new
methods have gone unrung because the band wasn't sure what to call the
call?  None, methinks....

Ander

> Martin:
>
>> You have to decide whether you mean
>> (i) swapping two/three bells *from what they would
>> have been doing* (changing the nature of the rows
>> from what they would have been), or
>> (ii) swapping two/three bells *in the coursing order*
>> (changing the nature of the coursing order). These
>> are different, and neither works in all cases.

Graham: