[r-t] Full-Monty-1256 completes

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Wed Jul 14 20:56:00 UTC 2010

On May 27, I wrote:

> Interesting - so has anyone ever tried the "full monty" on C8 with bobs
> and 1256 singles?
> Possibly not. I'm running it now, and it looks like a big one! I'll
> report back.

This search (Cambridge Major with 1256 singles) has now completed. Total
running time was 47 days - not the longest I've ever run, but pretty
big. A total of 152,915 compositions were found (up to rotation). I
won't post all of those here (!) but I can zip them up to about 1.3MB if
anyone wants them emailed.

During the search approximately 147,924,010,660,000 nodes were visited,
which I find moderately impressive. The longest length found was 6144 (a
short-course two-part), and similar compositions of length 5888 and 5632
exist. Beneath Middleton's, there were a handful of compositions between
5400 and 5600 changes with at least one whole course.

Here are a couple of the best peals I found:

5184 Cambridge Surprise Major, arr. MBD (SMC32) (no.1)

   23456   B  3  H
   ---------------
   26453      S
   45362   4  S
   36254   4  S
   65423   2     -
   35264   3  S
   ---------------
   56324   -     S  |
   56243   -     -  |
   56432   -     -  | A
   63542   -     S  |
   46352   2  S     |
   ---------------
   25463      A
   56342   2     -
   23456   3
   ---------------
Contains:
    7 plain course
   24 5678
   24 6578
    6 8765
   11 LB5
   66 LB4
   64 CRU

5248 Cambridge Surprise Major, arr. MBD (SMC32) (no.2)

   23456   B  M  W  3  H
   ---------------------
   65432      -  -     -
   65324   -           -
   65243   -           -
   46352      -  -  S
   35264   S  -  -
   56324   -           S
   56243   -           -
   56432   -           -
   ---------------------

4 part
Contains:
   3 plain course
   18 5678
   18 6578
    4 8765
    8 5678 off the front
    9 LB5
   64 LB4
   84 CRU

The search also exposed a small bug in SMC32: it appears I keep the
search duration, in milliseconds, in a signed 32-bit integer. At some
point in the 24th day of searching, this wraps round into negative
numbers. Gah.

MBD