[r-t] Grandsire

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Sun Jun 27 20:26:50 UTC 2010

Nice to see the article by young Mr Pullin in the RW this week. We
should have more of this kind of thing.

However, he dismisses the use of plain leads too easily - it is all part
of the challenge of composing Grandsire. Starting with B-blocks, a q-set
of six plain leads allows us to join six of these together. This fixes
the direction in which these blocks are rung. Keeping the idea of a
block with 1, 7 and 8 to ring in each position, there are effectively 42
possible calling positions, giving seven types of q-set. Starting with a
B-block with 78 at home, we can immediately rule out those that contain
elements that come after the lead head, e.g. those with 7 or 8 before.
Plains at the other five leads all belong to the same type. The sixth
element is in a block of type 1xxx7xx8. If we have plains at all of
these q-sets, we join both types of block, and what's more finish up
with a 5-part block:

   2345678
   -------
   8726543  2
   3485627  2
   2537468  1
   6728543  1
   4863752  1
   5342876  1
   7256384  1
   4873652  2
p 4256378  3
   -------

Single in the missing type of block and join up all the bits, and we
reduce significantly the number of singles required, and finish up with
a simpler calling:

40320 Grandsire Major by Philip A B Saddleton
2345678   1  2  3  4  5  6  7
-----------------------------
8463752      -     -  -  -  s |
48637     -  -  -  -  -  -  s |A