[r-t] group theory questions

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Wed Apr 27 00:40:52 UTC 2011

The _order_ of a group element is the number of times you have to apply it
to get back to the identity.  So in change-ringing world, e.g. 23145 has
order 3, 23154 has order 6.  An _involution_ is an element of order 2,
e.g. 21435 or 43215.

Or you could just look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involution_(mathematics)

cheers, A