[r-t] challenge: Brunel, Cabot, Birmingham Carter

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 21:30:32 UTC 2012

On 26 January 2012 15:31, Hayden Charles <hcharles at grandsire.co.uk> wrote:

> Tony Cox has compositions for the three single cinques methods here:
>
> <http://www.ajcpeals.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cinques.html>
>
> caters for Brunel and Birmingham Carter here:
> <http://www.ajcpeals.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/caters.html>)
>
> He has rotated the place notations.
>
> Hayden Charles

Hello
Speaking of possible 5040s of Cabot, Brunel or Birmingham Carter,  I
said "At the Triples stage, if the building material is to be sixties
of either Carter or Stedman Doubles then the only hopeful one is
Birmingham Carters but with bobs in lieu of each 7ths place (to give
60s of Carter Doubles)"

In my other ramblings I had hoped to imply that in Caters or in
Cinques, in my opinion, to get a true 5000, one could choose to have
bob be n-1 instead of at any one n; or instead of any two ns or
instead of at all three ns
Having n-1 at only one n keeps the 12 rows as a unit and is obviously
the better choice if ease of calling is the prime consideration

Referring to Birmingham Carter Triples the website statement that

"This principle, which is actually an extension of `Reverse Carter
Doubles', was rung in Birmingham in the 1980s using two different
calling positions within a lead." is wrong. To get a true 5040 of
Birmingham Carter Triples it appears to me to require all three
calling positions in the block of 12 rows. In fact, Alan Burbage
certainly did  not use only "two different calling positions within a
lead" he found it necessary to use all three.

Speaking of Alan Burbage and the 5040 of what was to become known as
'Birmingham Carter Triples :