[r-t] Peculiar treble place method

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Nov 22 19:21:44 UTC 2012

Looking through the Cambridge Youths records this lunchtime,
I found a loose sheet of paper with the plain course of a
method written out.

   &36-36.18.36-36.18.36-36.18.36-36.18,12

Figures in the margin indicate a 14 for 12 bob was intended,
and four lead ends in the margin show the back bells in a
tittums position:

   8472635
   4283756
   2345867
   3526478

The Cambridgeshire Archive have catalogued the paper as
circa 1900, and based on the handwriting, I agree.

The method itself isn't particularly musical (that might be
an understatement), and has 'U' falseness so three homes
runs false; but it has an elegant construction nevertheless.
I hadn't come across anything similar, but looking through
the method libraries, I see Nightingale T Pl Major, first
pealed on 29 Apr 1868 at Liversedge, Yorks.

   &34-34.18.34-34.18.34-34.18.34-34.18,12

The Cambridge Youths method follows very much in that vein.
Were such methods popular?  Are there other examples?

RAS