[r-t] Compositions on BellBoard

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Aug 22 19:19:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:
> That's a reasonable answer, and probably one that applies to quite a few
> people.  Out of interest, which proving program do you usually use?  And
> does it have a (presumably non-Microsiril-compatible) textual input format?

I'm another of the people to whom the answer applies, using my own,
idiosyncratic, home-brewed proving stuff. Actually two different bits
of it, depending upon what I'm proving. Both take a textual input,
though the one I use less frequently takes its textual input as Lisp
S-expressions!

Here's an example of the input format the one I use more frequently expects:

--------------------------

!music none
!method Cambridge Surprise Major
!columns B V M W I T H
!composer Charles Middleton
2M2W3H
!repeat 4 times

!composition
!composer Donald F Morrison
!method Superlative Surprise Major
!method Bristol Surprise
!method London Surprise
SC.LsBsSsC.BCs
LsLsBB.SCsL.S
!repeat 9 times

--------------------------

This results in the following output:

--------------------------

5,600 Cambridge Surprise Major by Charles Middleton
23456  M  W  H
______________
35264  2  2  3
______________
Repeat four times.
True to all BDKabcdefXYZ.

5,120 Spliced Surprise Major (4 methods) by Donald F Morrison
 2345678  B   V   M   I   T   H
 ______________________________
(35264)   -   ss                  SC.L.
 275634   s       -           s    B.S.C.BC.
(647532)          s       s       L.L.
 3264857      -   s   -            BB.SC.L.S
Repeat nine times.
Contains 1,280 each Bristol, Cambridge, London and Superlative,
with 130 changes of method and all the work of every method for
every bell.

--
Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org>
"The only obligation to which in advance we may hold a novel,