[r-t] Lead-based methods [was: Poll on consecutive blows in the same position]

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Mon Dec 29 22:50:12 UTC 2014

Iain Anderson writes,

> One of the problems that I have with separating LBMs from RBMs is that
> in my mind they aren't mutually exclusive.
> The 7 particle methods are a classic example.  I have learnt and rung
> Top, Up, Strange, Down, Charm, Bottom, and Meson as rule-based methods
> because it is a lot, lot simpler to treat them as a series of rules
> rather than a set of traditional blue lines.

Yes, and for this reason perhaps "rule-based method" is completely the
wrong term to use. "Dixonoid" or (in Don's new system) "Non-β" is less
confusing. The idea is that this type of construction cannot be defined
as a fixed sequence of changes; this contrasts with Kent, Bristol,
Charm, Bottom and so on, where, although you might be better off ringing
them by a rule, they can certainly be described by a string of place
notation.

MBD