[r-t] Minor Blocks

Tim Barnes tjbarnes23 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 01:58:47 UTC 2014

So some differing opinions on this.  A couple of questions / requests if I
may:

Don - you don't like restricting a method to something that has a
non-divisible place notation.  Would you apply any limitations?  Would you,
for example, let Magenta LP12 also be named separately as a 2 change per
lead 5 / 7 diff method that has the same plain course?

This would lead to the question of whether 4 changes of Magenta can be
named as a separate method - one with a 140-row false plain course
(assuming false pc's are allowed, as 80% of us indicated in the survey they
should be). And then to whether 2 leads of Cambridge can be named as a
separate method to Cambridge, etc.

This does seem to be a specific problem in defining what a method is,
resulting from leads ordinarily being repeated to produce courses, and not
a broader problem to solve.  Things like a touch of Original having the
same rows as the plain course of a different method, and a method being a
concatenation of two other, different methods (Stedman = Erin + Bastow),
are currently allowed and I wouldn't propose changing that.

But in the case of 6ths place Morning Star, telling the treble ringer who
thought he'd been treble bob hunting that he was actually on a working
bell, and therefore can have the footnote 'First inside' if it was
something publishable, would seem to leave the rules open to a lot of
criticism from ringers at large, however sound the logic behind this.

Graham - you were able to determine very quickly that Magenta was the only
existing method with a divisible place notation.  Are you able to similarly
determine what percentage of group A methods with 6ths place lead ends
would be divisible (and ideally also 2nds place group M methods, plus the
higher number equivalents)?  It would be good to know if this is, say, a
0.05% issue or a 5% issue, at least in relation to methods that have been
named so far.

Any other views on how to handle the issue of methods with divisible place
notations?  This seems to be a genuine hurdle to get over.

TJB