[r-t] Spliced Lincolnshire and Edmundsbury

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Mon Jul 21 08:42:23 UTC 2014

Whilst recent extensive discussion on categorisation of methods has been
interesting (and further showed up the absurdities of the CC's latest
nonsensical non-decision), I am keen that we don't forget the prime focus
of this list is to share and discuss innovations in change ringing.  New
sequences of changes have more value, to my mind, than discussions about
what to call sequences of changes.

And so, to redress the balance...

Whilst the subject of this email doesn't look too promising, it relates to
the application of a more general concept described in a letter by Stan
Jenner in this week's Ringing World, which I hope Robert doesn't mind me
quoting from:

"It occurred to me some months ago that pairs of treble dodging major
methods may be spliced in whole courses using the 24 course block first
recognised by Simon Humphrey and now very frequently rung to Lincolnshire
(and many other methods). These courses consist of the twelve “in –
course” (+) courses with the 3 in 3rds and the twelve “out – of – course”
(–) courses with the 3 in 4ths (or, equally, the 4 in 4ths + and 3rds – ).
Using these, many pairs of (often quite diverse) methods may be spliced
by ringing all the + courses to one method and all the – courses to the
other. Lead end order is not important: the only requirement is that both
have the same place made at the lead end. The arrangement rung in the peal
at Willesden on 7th July minimises the number of occasions on which
consecutive courses of the same method are necessary"

The peal referred to is <http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=340876>,
and the composition is:

===
5376 Spliced S Major (2m)
Arr. Stan Jenner
W M H
  - SS  |
  - S   | A
-   SS  |
-   S   |
2A
-   S   | B
  - S   |
2B
Courses called alternately EEEEEEE LLLLLLL
Miss out final single home in 3rd A block and 3rd B block
===

Any rather more palatable applications, then, folks?