[r-t] Grandsire and New Grandsire

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 12:20:16 UTC 2014

Rob Bennett wrote:

> There are other methods which are rung a bit where this
> issue comes up:
> Oxford Bob Triples, Double Norwich Caters.
> Could also have New New Major!
> How often has New Grandsire been rung? It appears
> in some old books, but if it is hardly ever rung, why
> not leave its name as a historical quirk?
> Or else where will it end? Will we rename Grandsire
> as Odd-bob Doubles, or Plain 2-parent doubles?

If someone were to ring spliced Grandsire and New Grandsire, it a reasonable question to ask how it is best defined in a way that can be universally applied (there are a large number of twin hunt and multiple hunt methods). The current decisions say that they are the same method, and I don't think that is an unreasonable stance, but it would be nice to see a consistent convention for recording a composition and reporting a performance that contains these method isomers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Graham