[r-t] nths place

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Jul 16 14:26:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Matthew Frye <matthew at frye.org.uk> wrote:
> The only truly general criteria I can come up with right now would be "could an outside listener distinguish them"

That is of no help at all. By that measure there is but one right
place method, a familiar principle with division length 2.

But why the obsession with a (I suspect unachievable) goal of a unique
and unambiguous classification, independent of the performers' goals
and actions? How does it help the cause of ringing, rather than of
record keeping for its own sake? What horrible thing happens if the
band at Little Snitchet rings a peal of treble bob minor with an
extent containing some sixth place Morning Star, and another band at
Great Bludgerington rings a peal of differential minor methods
containing some of the differential cognate to sixth place Morning
Star? Do the two Ringing World reports annihilate one another like
anti-particles?

--
Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org>
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when