[r-t] Minor Blocks: Poll results

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Jul 20 08:02:57 UTC 2014

Don writes,

> What am I missing?

Simply that methods are one thing, Dixonoids are another.

A method can be defined using a block of changes, representable as place
notation. So it is a very simple thing (and I suspect the simplicity of
the idea is what has made it supremely successful in its role as the
basic component in composition).

It strikes me that a Dixonoid is a more complex entity, a bit more like
a composition in some senses, since it is derived both from the
generating properties of changes ("repeat x16") and the application of
row (or bell-position) based rules ("make fourths if the 2 or 4 are at
lead"). This makes a Dixonoid very interesting, and no less worthwhile,
but perhaps less suitable as a base component for composition-building.
It is certainly a different beast from a method.

MBD