[r-t] Stedman Caters touch - 1.5 courses

Matt Dawson m.d.dawson.29 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 11:52:20 UTC 2014

On 20 May 2014 10:38, Hilling, Matthew <M.J.Hilling at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:
> So, my challenge is - what is the fewest number of calls required for a touch that is 1.5 courses long and meets the following criteria?
>
> * between 140 and 170 changes
> * standard Stedman start (4th row of quick six)
> * can come round at handstroke or backstroke
> * has a recognisable course end somewhere within the touch (eg x6978, 6x978, 6x879 etc)

At a glance, the best I could do was a number of false 164s, none of
which had any sort of recognisable internal course end. The one with
the fewest calls is "s4 s8 9 10 18 19". However, this was done by hand
using Mark Davies' Stedman pricker, so you may get better results with
actual turning course producing software (I can't get PABS' software
to run with Wine).

On the other hand, there are several musical three course touches of
Erin Caters that spring to mind. Here are two of my favourites:

7 8; 2 3; 2 3 7 8.
4 5; 4 5 6 7; 6 7.

Or you can tack an extra course on the end of the 101 in the diary,
for a bit of variety:

s1 s4 5 8 9 s10 s13 14 15 23 24.

matt