[r-t] A Ringing Puzzle

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun May 25 09:40:55 UTC 2014

RAS writes,

> Motion (E) deals with
> the latter half of the problem in an efficient and minimal
> fashion.  The remaining half could be resolved by simply
> striking the word "true" from Decision (E)A.1(b).

Very much agree with Richard's view here.

However, now I come to read it, I'm a bit surprised by the existing
Motion (E). Allowing more hunt than working bells seems to have a bigger
technical consequence than the "false methods" case, so I find it odd
that the Methods Committee has decided to relax things here and not with
the technically easier false methods case.

However, given that they have, it's important to note that Horsleydown
Surprise Major would become ringable, but I think would be categorised
as a "Differential Hunter" (I suppose no surprise there). This comes
from clause (E)A1(c):

Part (i) says: "Methods with hunt bells are known as hunters if all the
working bells do the same work in the plain course and the number of
leads is the same as the number of working bells."

Clearly Horsleydown doesn't count here since the number of leads = 1 but
the number of working bells = 0.

Parts (ii) and (iii) don't apply since the method has no working bells.

Part (iv) say: "Methods with hunt bells are known as differential
hunters if all the working bells do not do the same work in the plain
course or the number of leads is not the same as the number of working
bells."

As above, the number of leads (1) is not the same as the number of
working bells (0) so this qualifies. Horsleydown becomes a "Differential
Hunter". Eck.

MBD