[r-t] Rotations (was One-lead courses. Results.)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Oct 16 17:59:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Graham John
<graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
> the symmetry point is between the leading of the two hunt bells and your
> calls are either affecting the leading hunt bell or the following hunt bell.

On the other hand, if you defined the co-method, an
((n-1)/2)x((n-1)/2) plain differential hunter with a single hunt bell,
with its plain leads the bob leads of Grandsire, and the plain leads
as bobs, you'd have the symmetry in the usual place. And then
Grandsire and New Grandsire would be just different kinds of calls,
not rotations of the base method.

That seems to me no more artificial and divorced from actual practice
than viewing Grandsire and New Grandsire as different rotations of one
another.

I don't know what it all means. Maybe it's another argument that
Grandsire and New Grandsire are the same? I dunno.

However, it does reinforce my skepticism about there being an
unambiguous taxonomy for all methods; and skepticism that methods and
calls can always be unambiguously divorced from one another. I
continue to fear that we are so happy with how easy it is to
categorize 99.44% of what we ring, that we want to shove anything else
we ring into that same box, without regard to whether or not it really
fits.

--
Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org>
"To a shower of gold most things are penetrable."