[r-t] Handbell Peals of Minimus

Simon Gay Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 13:08:33 UTC 2015

On 18/03/2015 12:20, Robin Woolley wrote:
> Hoaxes were not uncommon in the 70s. There seems to be a revival
> recently - a 105 part of Stedman 15 for example. (Good mathematics!)

Are you referring to this composition?

5,040 Stedman Septuples
M Mouse
2314567890etabc  3  4  5  7  8
tc9785be420631a  -  -  s  s  -
Repeat one hundred and four times.
Not yet rung.
Published in The Ringing World (1999, page 1162).

There is no reason to describe this as a hoax. It's a neat arrangement
based on 105 = 3 * 5 * 7 and 15 = 3 + 5 + 7.

I remember being in Roger Bailey's office when he opened the letter
containing the composition. It came with its own review and was
published in the Ringing World. I am not sure who the actual composer
was, but I think it might have been someone from Oxford.

Simon Gay