[r-t] Consultation

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Sun Apr 9 08:17:08 UTC 2017

> From: Robin Woolley <robin at robinw.org.uk>
>
> I had a *quick* look in Method 300. Albanian doesn't seem to have a
> simple rule, but Prittlewell and Pudsey do. Not all methods have rules.
> Are we saying that these should not be extended?
>
> Best wishes
> Robin
>
>From what I remember Albanian would have a rule as it is part of a family
of Cambridge-like methods.
Yorkshire N is Cambridge N above and Cambridge N-2 below, with 2nd/5ths
place bell being a 'false' treble causing the other bells to do half
Cambridge places with a dodge with one of those bells rather than the
treble.
Pudsey N is similar, but Cambridge N below and Cambridge N-2 (shifted up)
above, with 3rds place bell being the 'false' treble.
Prittlewell is Pudsey above and Yorkshire below.
Albanian N is Cambridge N above and Cambridge N-4 below with 6th and 9ths
place bells being the 'false' trebles and 2nds and 5ths place bells
looking like Yorkshire.

Presumably there is a maximus method with Cambridge N above and Cambridge
N-6 below and another with Cambridge N below and Cambridge N-6 (shifted
up) above, plus ones created by mixing different types of above and below
work.

I think my rule for Albanian N would be:
ring Cambridge above the treble
2nd place - ring Yorkshire N
6ths place - plain hunt down past the treble, then ring Yorkshire N-2,
then dodge with the treble and ring Cambridge
For next N/2 - 3 place bells
10ths place - ring Cambridge until below the treble, then TB, miss out 1/2
down, Yorkshire places N-6 up, then dodge with the treble and ring
Cambridge
next - ring Cambridge until below the treble, then TB, miss out 3/4 down,
Yorkshire places N-8 up, then dodge with the treble and ring Cambridge
next - ring Cambridge until below the treble, then TB, miss out 5/6 down,
Yorkshire places N-10 up, then dodge with the treble and ring Cambridge
3rds place bell - ring Cambridge

It's a lot harder to invent a rule and find that it generates methods
rather than discover a rule once you have another way of generating
methods.

Andrew Johnson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.