[r-t] Pitman's 13440 change compositions

Roddy Horton roddy at horton.karoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 12:09:39 UTC 2017

PJE - Very interesting! Please can you say some more about how you put these together?
RRH - I can't really remember but I think I was trying to understand how Pitman had put his together and I was experimenting with options. Pitman's understanding of spliced and his ability without any computer power still astonished me!

PJE - Did you find other courses that work in the same way?
RRH - There will be lots of courses that work but the trick, as Robin Woolley noted, is to find method where 1,7 and 8 are not in the same places with the same nature (+/-)

PJE - What scope is there to extend this to a whole extent?
RRH - The answer is that I think it would be possible, the thinking needs extending to having the 7th in 5th and 3rds and then inserting blocks of 3 bobs at Fifths in each course. I haven't got the time at the moment but I will put it on my list of nobody else comes up with a solution.

PJE - Incidentally, in the 2nd composition I presume the method should be Willingale? (&-3-4-2-236-34-3-4-5, 2).  There doesn't seem be a method called "Willingdale" as is currently written.
RRH - Sorry - my typo and it should indeed be Willingale.

Roddy