[r-t] Extension

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Mon Mar 20 09:29:36 UTC 2017

Yes, I suppose "There is a piece of work in the extension if and only if
it is in the parent" does have a germ of truth, but it can't be the
whole story. There exist very pleasant-looking extension series where a
piece of work occurs zero times in the parent, once in the next stage,
twice in the following, and so on. For example, the wrong dodges in Bristol.

However, Robin's statement is a useful guide. Perhaps it needs to be
nuanced, either by reference to this idea of zero-based series of work,
or by restricting it to "places made" instead of "work". It would seem
wrong, I think, if there was a new place made in an extension that had
no origin in the parent.

Note in the Bristol case, all the places in Bristol Royal are derived
from corresponding places in the Major, but the effect of repeating them
in the longer lead is to add dodges that weren't there before.

MBD