[r-t] Similar compositions

John Goldthorpe john.m.goldthorpe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 14:05:46 UTC 2018

> I would have thought that hashing leadends and leadheads where
> there are calls (plus the order of these) would be better on its own,
> since it would catch the same composition rung to different methods.
> However, while good for methods with Plain Bob leadheads, it would not
> catch WHW rung to Minor methods without Plain Bob leadheads. This is
> why I think it is necessary to focus on the calling.

This raises an interesting question as to what a calling is.  I have just
been checking this composition:
https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/comp.php?id=2263246

It is a composition of Kent Treble Bob Major but used for Cerium Surprise
Major.  The unusual thing is that Cerium is irregular.  My approach to
duplicate checking would not find this because the lead ends/heads, with or
without calls, are not the same.  The calling positions are not quite the
same either because In and Before are swapped.  The thing that is the same
is the lead numbers where the bobs are called.

Following on from this, suppose I entered a new composition of Rutland S
Major in to complib with the following calling:  B FB F3V (2 part)  The
first part end is 12348765, so the calling in the second part is actually
MMI B3H

It seems pretty original, and musical.  However, to compose it all I did
was put the bobs where they would be in the first two parts of Middleton's
Cambridge.  Did Charles Middleton compose this, or me?