[r-t] Similar compositions

Richard Allton rchat at allton.org.uk
Thu Jan 25 14:36:45 UTC 2018

MBD wrote:

1. Johnson's Variation is indeed an arrangement of Middleton's. The calling is rotated, and B substituted for 2M2W.

I suspect everyone will agree with me on (1) ?

However, in the Bell News V4 p137 Jasper Snowdon wrote:

"The one peal, with the tenors together, that has been composed of Cambridge Surprise, is one in five parts, of 5600 changes. This peal was composed independently by Mr. Charles Middleton, of Norwich, and Mr. Henry Johnson, of Birmingham. It was however first published by Mr. Middleton in 1845, in Hubbard’s first book, and thus I think that the peal, which is as follows, must be awarded to Mr. Middleton.
5600.
23456   M  W  H
43652   -
56234   -  -
23564      -  -
52364         -
35264         -
C. Middleton.

First rung on February 11th, 1873, at St. Michael’s, Benington, by the Benington Society. Conducted by Thomas Page. The calling was begun at the fourth course end thus producing 34562 at the first part-end.

This composition reverses to the same peal. By omitting the three consecutive bobs H. in any one part, two courses will be cut out and the number reduced to 5152. Mr. Johnson has cut the peal to 5056 changes, by introducing the course 1 B., 1 H, which brings up the third course-end 23564, and thus if this calling is used instead of the calling of the first three courses, as given above, the peal is reduced two courses, and a short course introduced instead of the long one. As Mr. Johnson was the first to obtain this length, I think, whenever this peal may be rung, that the 5056 may be fairly attributed to Mr. Johnson."

This implies "Johnson's Variation" is any reduction to 5056 (keeping the tenors together) irrespective of starting with 2H or not.

Richard