[r-t] Stedman Triples and Camapanalogia

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jan 14 12:29:42 GMT 2020

In the Christmas issue of The Ringing World, issue 5669/5670, p.1246
(subscriber link: https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/issues/2019/1246)  I wrote
an article examining whether Fabian Stedman ever extended Stedman Doubles
(the Principle on Five) to triples.

J Armiger Trollope, Jasper Snowden, Ernest Morris and Clavis were of the
opinion it wasn't extended to seven bells by the composer.

I pointed that in Campanalogia (1677), p.168, Fabian Stedman says:‘ ‘Tis
plainly demonstrable, that [t]he Principle upon five may go 420 triples
upon seven, which is a twelfth part; 840 which is a sixth part; or 1260
which is a fourth part of the whole, and the utmost period of triple
changes. And then by making four extreams it may go 5040, the complete
peal.’

Who agrees or disagrees that this shows Fabian Stedman did extend the
method to triples?

What was the extension? In the article I proposed some ideas, but none
were completely satisfactory.

Andrew Johnson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.