[Bell Historians] St Thomas' Bristol.

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Tue Mar 19 09:43:49 GMT 2002

It is also the fact that the treble is hung between 7 and 8 which makes it
such a pig of a bell to ring. I rang a peal there last year on the 2nd. Mike
Trimm on the treble leaned over to me after an hour and said "this is bl**dy
hard work - that's not why I grabbed the treble"!

DrL

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pickford [mailto:c.j.pickford at t...]
Sent: 19 March 2002 09:05
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] St Thomas's Bristol.

Thanks - good to have details for St.Thomas, which is clearly non-standard.
I only meant to imply that these were hung in two rows of four in parallel
pits - not that they were the same as Larkhall. As I said, the USUAL
arrangement is 3-6, 2/1/8/7 because this divides the pit widths into roughly
equal overall sizes for each nest of four.

I've got quite a bit of information on both the Headingleys if people are
interested.

St.Chad's (Far Headingley) was a Grimthorpe job, the church (consecrated on
11 Jan.1868) being paid for by the man himself. It originally had three
bells (6-8) of 1867 - presumably in a "Doncaster frame" of that date. Five
more bells were added in 1872, the ring of six being opened on 24 Sept.1872.
The treble (dated 1875) was not added until early in 1876, and the first
peal was on 22 Dec.1877. The bells were all recast in 1933.

The old front six from Leeds Parish church was installed at St.Michael's by
Charles Oliver (the Whitechapel bellhanger) in about 1841. Present bells
completed 13 Dec 1890

CP