[Bell Historians] Wartime bells

David Bryant david at b...
Mon Jul 26 23:13:26 BST 2004

> I rang at Norton juxta Malton during a ringing holiday a few years ago.
> The clapper staple bolt broke on the tenor and the clapper fell out.
> When I told the lady who'd let us in she said "it's alright, that's
> always happening!"

So far as I know it behaves itself now - they had a pulley and clapper
overhaul a few years ago. They are an excellent eight - front four installed
in an 8-bell frame in 1925 - money was short hence only four were installed.
The 5th and 6th were added in the following year, and the two tenors in
1945.