[Bell Historians] Gillett & Johnston tuning forks

bill at hibberts.co.uk bill at hibberts.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 17:48:32 GMT 2022

I have just completed an analysis of three G&J carillons which shows a
significant and unexpected variation in the frequencies of the forks they
were using in the 1920s and 1930s. You can read all about it at
https://www.hibberts.co.uk/gillett-johnston-tuning-forks/ . This may not be
a new discovery, Scott Allan Orr told me about it last year and he believes
that Eijsbouts have done work on it, no doubt in connection with work on
Gillet & Johnston carillons. I am about to extend the analysis to cover some
change-ringing peals as well, to see if they show the same effect. I've just
asked for the relevant figures for Coventry and Croydon Minster from the G&J
books.

In a posting to Bell Historians on 15 June 2004, Andrew Higson said that the
G&J forks were then at Loughborough. Has anyone measured them in the
intervening years? I am planning to contact Taylors to see if the forks are
still there, and ask permission to make exact measurements of them all. It
would also be very interesting to know if anyone is aware of the provenance
of the forks, i.e. who they were manufactured by and when. I don't want to
repeat work on this that has already been done!

Regards,

Bill H