[Bell Historians] Alphabet bells

Andrew Aspland aaspland at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 17:56:49 BST 2023

 I think there are two possible explanations:  it would actually be a mark of a degree of literacy if one knew ones alphabet and could recognise the letters.  Secondly, and perhaps more powerful, the alphabet was seen as encompassing all things (A to Z, alpha to omega) and anciently the bishop (when consecrating a new church) would mark out the Greek alphabet on one diagonal and the Latin alphabet on the other with his crozier.
Andrew