[Bell Historians] stratfield saye

Neil Skelton neilskelton at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 3 15:35:17 GMT 2023

I rang on these bells in August 1975 and during a long and hot summer. I think even then they were rarely rung, however, one of our number managed to secure permission to ascend the tower from the  sexton who rejoiced in the name of Mr Heaven! The bells, fittings and frame looked ringable but on ringing up, the frame began to move to the point whereby it was transferred to the the whole of the internal timber structure, including the ringing chamber floor which was above the crossing of the church. We did manage two or three touches of Doubles until one of our number came up and said that the chandelier suspended beneath the floor was moving about alarmingly. At that point we decided to call it a day. I am not aware of any ringing which has taken place on these bells since our visit though I daresay there has been!

Regards