[Bell Historians] Stratfield Saye

pag.watts at btinternet.com pag.watts at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 4 00:47:54 GMT 2023

Dear All

There have been a couple of test rings by invited bands on these bells in the past twenty years, at least one in the presence of the then Diocesan Bells Advisor.  Another test ring was conducted within the past five years.  In each case the ringing demonstrated very clearly that the timber bell frame/foundation timbers which sit inside a dome atop the short central tower, and which also support the ringing chamber, are not physically attached to any part of the fabric, and lack adequate tie bolts internally to the structures.

As a consequence, the whole installation moves alarmingly, and dangerously to the fabric when the bells are rung.  Hence no other ringing is permitted.

The full circle fittings and bell gear have reached the end of their working lives, and the whole installation needs tying down to some new steels embedded in the tower walls, to give the structure support and stability and to tie it to the fabric, and the bells need rehanging on all new gear.  Probably the frame is repairable, though the merits of doing that compared to a replacement frame, would form part of a full appraisal for a restoration scheme.

My bell advisor colleague (Adam Greenley) and I had intended to make a full inspection on behalf of the Parish, but this was postponed due to the Covid pandemic, and for various reasons has not yet happened.  Meanwhile, I understand that Ian Roulstone, who is tower captain at Silchester in the same benefice/group of parishes, and whose bells were rehung by Whites fairly recently, is now working with the Parish on the feasibility of a full restoration.  As is often the case with small rural parishes, the issue of funds, costs and mission priorities are major considerations.

If Ian is a member of this List, he may be able to add further information.

Phil

Phil Watts

Bells Advisor, Winchester Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches

Tel: 023 8025 2015           E-mail:   <mailto:pag.watts at btinternet.com> pag.watts at btinternet.com