[Bell Historians] TUBULAR BELLS

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at swbell.net
Mon Sep 25 01:18:04 BST 2023

Just slightly off the subject, but perhaps of interest to others . . . After Walter Durfee got the exclusive license for Harrington's tubular bells in North America, he used Harrington's design for the mechanism of tower chimes, but improved upon it.  The Durfee (and U.S.Tubular) chimes that I have seen appear to be better engineered than what I have seen in photos of Harrington chimes.  But mechanically they are all quite straightforward.

Carl Scott Zimmerman, Campanologist
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA -
 - 19th c. home of at least 37 bell founders or resellers
Tel. +1-314-821-8437
Webmaster for www.TowerBells.org
 * Avocation: tower bells
 * Recreation: handbells