[Bell Historians] TUBULAR BELLS

peter at plrivet.plus.com peter at plrivet.plus.com
Thu Sep 28 18:38:45 BST 2023

My thanks to everyone who has responded on this topic.  I am now much better equipped for the forthcoming site visit.

John Arthur has raised the interesting question of what work on tubular bells requires a faculty.  The rules weren’t drafted with them in mind and Charles Mynors in Changing Churches offers no guidance on them or hemispherical chimes (which raise some of the same issues).  John’s view is that taking the installation out of the tower would require one, but doing it up on site could reasonably be treated as list A.  I agree with him, but it’s ultimately up to the Chancellor of the Diocese to decide.

Peter Rivet