[Bell Historians] External tuning

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Thu Apr 4 15:03:09 BST 2002

DJB:
"This morning I've been doing a full inspection at St Olave's, York. The
rather nice 9 cwt six were cast in 1789 by Dalton of York, and were
tuned and rehung for chiming in 1916, by Taylor's, and rehung for
ringing by David Potter / Taylor's in 1988. Looking at them this
morning, I noticed that there is clear evidence of tuning on the outside
soundbows of all six bells, between the two lower sets of moulding
wires. it must have occurred in 1916. Has anyone else seen this anywhere
- It's the first time I've seen it. What would the purpose be?"

Do you mean that they have been skirted, i.e. had metal removed from the
outside very near to the rim of the soundbow? If so, this is a mechanism by
which the pitch of a bell (fundamental?) is sharpened.

DrL

SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.