[Bell Historians] Towers Missing From Dove/TowerBase

John Paul Adams J.Adams at u...
Fri Apr 5 17:03:19 BST 2002

Tim Jackson:

>> Taking up the suggestion to discuss what is, and what is not, included in
>> Dove, and extending it a little, I have attached two lists.

Sorry for the delay, Easter got in the way, and am just catching up on
emails.

>> Please let me know whether each tower should be deleted from its list or
>> added to the other one. If it should be deleted then please indicate
>> whether this is because it has become a "lost ring" (according to the
>> definition given by David Kelly), or because it should never have been
>> listed in the first place.

>> Brington, Hunts, All Saints, 4, 5=BCcwt. Unringable. TL082759

This is a lever chime of four. The 3 and 4 bell society visited there in
July 1998.

>> Old Weston, Hunts, S Swithun, 4, 7cwt. TL093772

I believe these have been restored to ringability by the Huntingdonshire
Restoration people.

>> Radnage, Bucks, S Mary, 4, 9cwt. SU786979

I have in my atlas that these are hung dead. No idea where the information
has come from.

>> Lewes, Sussex, S Thomas a Becket, Cliffe, 4, 7-0-0. Unringable. TQ421103

I read last year in the Sussex magazine Soundbow that these had been
converted into a chime. I assume that means dead, but I can't remember the
specifics.

>> Sevington, Kent, S Mary, 4, 8-0-0. Unringable. TR037409

I have rung these full circle with no apparent problems, apart from not
being able to set them. How many other swing-chimes can do that?

John

--
John Paul Adams, Medical School IT Support Section,
University College London, London, WC1E 6BT.