[Bell Historians] Chimes - New Romney

D Cawley dave at d...
Thu Apr 11 11:40:44 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Here are a few offerings:

Cawston, Norfolk - 1 & 2 in 8 added and 6th recast JT 1925; these three hun=
g dead. The other 5 hung for ringing: 3, S Gilpin (?) c1700; 4, T Mears II=
1818; 5, M&S 1887; 7 J Stephens 1717; tenor 45" T Gardiner 1753. Fittin=
gs of 1818 and 1887, the latter by Day - complete, but not in good order. 1=
5th-century frame with new top sills by Day. A long history of trouble wi=
th the bells here and although there is an account of (yet another) re-open=
ing in 1887, they have probably not been rung since before World War I. Th=
e two trebles are War Memorial bells, and they were installed complete with=
the present chiming apparatus for 8 in 1925. Visited as Diocesan Bells Ad=
viser 19.4.75.

Cattistock - The bass bell of the carillon (the tenot of the 8) is 19-3-3 a=
ccording to CD. I have other weights quoted but his is the one I would wor=
k on.

Charlton - Yes, they were always a ring. I inspected as DBA in 1983, along=
with NWB and found the treble in pieces, the other 4 with complete and ver=
y ancient ringing fittings in a medieval frame, tenor cracked and filed. C=
W's accounts show that ringing ceased c1850. Now of course restored and re=
hung.

Leigh on Sea - The Paccard bells are still there

Cork St Mary's - i.e. the RC Cathedral. Fred Dukes, Campanology in Ireland=
pp 208-9. 8 for ringing plus a flat 2nd; tenor 57.1/2"; Murphy 1870 - not=
rung for many years and pipework now goes through the frame so ringing not=
possible - chimed from console in the former ringing room.

NB Cork St Nicholas 8, 47" in E, are a ring - not rung since 1920's per Fre=
d Dukes.

I confirm what CJP says about Brentford and Stamford (we went to the latter=
together; no stays or sliders ever; no interest in bells locally. Ringing=
ceiling of this funny little oblong tower plastered up, so you have to chi=
me them round the clock). I've done some research for him re Abberley, an=
d am sure he won't mind me saying that the bass of the original 20-bell ins=
tallation was 78-2-0 sent out, 76-2-14 as scrapped.

=20
----- Original Message -----=20