[Bell Historians] Re: Saltaire

George Dawson George at d...
Thu Apr 18 13:11:19 BST 2002

charset="Windows-1252"

I can add to this:
Warners 11877 Catalogue states Saltaire a ring of 3. So Blews recast/scrap=
ped one.
Geoff Armitage (1993)
George told me they were scrapped in 1957, to a scrap merchant for =A310 !
----- Original Message -----=20
From: D Cawley=20
To: David & Mary Kelly=20
Cc: Nick Bowden ; Tim Jackson ; Chris Pickford ; bellhistorians at yahoogrou=
ps.com=20
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 10:20 AM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Saltaire

It is in the 8th edition as SHIPLEY, W YORKS, SALTAIRE CONGREG'L CH.

I think CJP may have more definitive information, but here is a little: T=
aylor's inspected in 1922. At that time the bells were still ringable but =
there was frame movement and the bells were "difficult". New fittings and =
at least strengthened frame were advised. Apparently nothing was done, an=
d when enquiries were made in 1943 the bells had been sold - where I don't =
know.

For the record the inspection notes give the following:

Treble 2' 0" 3cwt 1870 William Blews=20
Second 2' 2" 3.1/2-cwt 1870 William Blews
Third 2' 3.1/2" 4-cwt 1870 William Blews
Fourth 2' 4.1/2" 4.1/2-cwt 1857 John Warner
Fifth 2' 7.1/4" 5.1/2-cwt 1870 William Blews
Tenor 2' 11.1/2" 7.1/2-cwt 1857 John Warner

There is a clock in the tower, details unknown but I hazard a guess that =
the two 1857 bells were provided as clock bells (at the building) and the o=
thers added subsequently.

This marvellous building - part of Sir Titus Salt's model village - is em=
inently visitable, but getting up the tower is another thing, at least so I=
've found!

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20