Books on Bells

john ketteringham john.ketteringham at n...
Mon Aug 12 13:35:14 BST 2002

For the record - I published the first edition of Lincoln Cathedral : A
History of the Bells, Bellringers and Bellringing myself but the second
edition was published by the Minster Shop. Lincolnshire Bells and
Bellfounders was published by myself and sold out within 11 months of
publication!

Incidentally I would never publish anything of this nature without it being
fully referenced. I'm afraid so many of this type of book do not quote the
sources and are therefore unreliable.

Even Ernie Morris, who I knew quite well often sitting with him in St
Margaret's Vestry whilst he was illuminating peal books and the like, was
guilty of this omission. For years I have been trying to find his source
for the banning of bell ringing during the reign of King John I think.