Cathedrals and bells

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Mon Aug 12 13:48:30 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

On a slightly bitter note, I recall that at Coventry Cathedral in 1986 I ha=
d very little help from the then officers of the Coventry Guild - who actua=
lly prevented access to the tower when I needed to check some information o=
n the bells - and pretty open hostility from the Cathedral bookshop regardi=
ng my book.=20

I've still got stocks - even though I jettisoned quite a few copies when we=
moved south in 1998 - but the bookshop won't even take it for sale a "barg=
ain basement" prices

They operate quasi-commercially, and I fear the truth is that the Cathedral=
bookshops regard books on bells as of marginal interest or as poor sellers

CP