Tuning bells up and down

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Mon Aug 12 22:57:19 BST 2002

Matthew Higby:

> There is no way a bell could have been raised a
> semitone - 30 cps or so, would be possible.

Well, I think it depends if you care what the result sounds like. You
can go a long way by skirting if you are prepared to take lots of
metal off, but you would risk ruining the tone.

I recall reading somewhere (if I could remember where, I would check
the reference!) that during the various remodellings of the Appleton
ring, one of the bells was tuned up a semitone and then down again -
or vice versa. I'm sure someone on the list will know the real story.

Bill H