[Bell Historians] Cathedrals and bells

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Wed Aug 14 12:31:19 BST 2002

charset="us-ascii"

On the subject of books, websites, and CDs and so on...
I found a book about bellringing in a bookshop in Verona "le mie campane"
and, I didn't have to ask, it was on display with the other books of local
interest.
At Leeds it was the bellringers who set up a website (and still maintain it)
and the church who asked if they could be part of it - the traffic isn't all
one way!
We were asked to record some ringing for a CD of music at Leeds Parish
Church rather than us having to ask them. It does help if someone
"downstairs" is pushing the bellringing profile.
What I appreciate is when there are histories of the bells, or just a sheet
of details, available for sale in the ringing chamber. Whitehaven had a
postcard printed with the details of the bells (when they were a ten). That
doesn't need the cooperation of a bookshop manager!
Must go and write the history of Leeds bells.
Andrew