[Bell Historians] FW: [r-c] www.tenorbox.org.uk inscriptions

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Wed Aug 14 19:37:56 BST 2002

> From: D Cawley
> Or, for the less adventurous member, try the treble at Honolulu Cathedral:

> OUR LIFE IS CHANGEFUL VIEW US NOW COMPLETE: SEDATE WE ROSE
IN SIX ; WERE GAY
> IN EIGHT

> Ex St Alkmund's Shrewsbury: founder John Briant.

It does as well (just dug out my photocopies of Walters' Shropshire). How
did you remember that? And how did this discussion get round to that subject
anyway? Probably best not to ask!

On a more practical note, St Alkmund's now only has one little bell (21")
from the village of Preston Gubbals, near Shrewsbury, where most of the
church was demolished and the remainder vested in the CCT. The bell is
inscribed 'PEACE AND GOOD NEIGHBOVRHOOD (border) 1720 / (border) A (bell) R
(border)', according to Walters. It is hung for swing chiming in the 3rd pit
of the timber 8 bell frame (which is actually in quite good condition) and
is kept company by vast number of pigeons (alive and dead), and large piles
of pigeon shit! For our more recent members, there are some piccys on the
pictures page of the Yahoo page, which I put there a few months ago.