[Bell Historians] FW: [r-c] www.tenorbox.org.uk inscriptions

D Cawley dave at d...
Wed Aug 14 21:45:32 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

1. How did I remember it ? I didn't, but thought there must be something =
appropriate on a Briant ring and immediately thought of St Alkmund's. No, =
they're not Rudhallian but Wildingian; Mr Wilding, of High Ercall being the=
author of numerous of these attractive couplets.

2. An interesting account of your visit to the tower, which ties in well wi=
th the removal of the bells on the E&S video. What strikes me as pretty a=
ppalling is that a small portion of the proceeds of the sale of the bells w=
as not set aside to wire out the birds. Ugh !

There was a front cover article of St A's in the Comic in the ?early 70's f=
ollowing a T&BC inspection by the late Fred Sharpe. On that poccasion the =
bells were rung for the first time for decades and the last time ever. Th=
at fine frame is, I think, by George Day of Eye who rehung the bells about =
a century ago.

Forgive all these approximations.

DLC

Has anyone been to Shrewsbury Abbey ? What is the set-up and what are the =
reasons ?

----- Original Message -----=20
From: David Bryant=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: 14 August 2002 19:37
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] FW: [r-c] www.tenorbox.org.uk inscriptions

> From: D Cawley
> Or, for the less adventurous member, try the treble at Honolulu Cathedr=
al:

> OUR LIFE IS CHANGEFUL VIEW US NOW COMPLETE: SEDATE WE R=
OSE
IN SIX ; WERE GAY
> IN EIGHT

> Ex St Alkmund's Shrewsbury: founder John Briant.

It does as well (just dug out my photocopies of Walters' Shropshire). How
did you remember that? And how did this discussion get round to that subj=
ect
anyway? Probably best not to ask!

On a more practical note, St Alkmund's now only has one little bell (21")
from the village of Preston Gubbals, near Shrewsbury, where most of the
church was demolished and the remainder vested in the CCT. The bell is
inscribed 'PEACE AND GOOD NEIGHBOVRHOOD (border) 1720 / (border) A (bell)=
(border)', according to Walters. It is hung for swing chiming in the 3rd =
pit
of the timber 8 bell frame (which is actually in quite good condition) an=
is kept company by vast number of pigeons (alive and dead), and large pil=
es
of pigeon shit! For our more recent members, there are some piccys on the
pictures page of the Yahoo page, which I put there a few months ago.

David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20