Bells of Shrewsbury Abbey

Richard Stevens rcstevens at l...
Thu Aug 15 06:16:35 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

I am not an authority on the bells of Shrewsbury Abbey but I lived in the a=
rea for over ten years (1969-80). The bells had only been chimed in living =
memory.

Part of the reason given locally was the stability or otherwise of the towe=
r. Inside there was a very big arch adjoining the Nave. On the other side, =
facing the outside was an equally large stained glass window. This meant th=
at the tower was virtually standing on the remaining two sides.=20

I know that the wheels had long since been removed and any chance of trying=
to ring them went with them.

As this topic arose out of Briants bells and St Alkmunds, it should be not=
ed that one of the Abbey bells was recast by Briant around 1812/13 (? 4th).=
Briant cast 19 bells during that period for Shropshire - the two eights at=
St Alkmund Shrewsbury and Condover - the two trebles for High Ercall - and=
the recast bell for the Abbey.=20

Those in touch with Ernie Willcox of Shrewsbury might get more detailed inf=
ormation from him.

Richard Stevens.=20