[Bell Historians] Bells of Shrewsbury Abbey

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Thu Aug 15 07:41:32 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Just to point out that Alan Glover is actively exploring Shrewsbury bells -=
when he's in the UK - and doing a lot of historical digging. He's undoubte=
dly the best person to contact for information.

Interesting to learn of the present state of things at St.Alkmund's. In the=
nearby (former) church of St.Julian, the six bells hang from chains - susp=
ended from the old ringing room floor.

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Richard Stevens=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 6:16 AM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Bells of Shrewsbury Abbey

I am not an authority on the bells of Shrewsbury Abbey but I lived in the=
area for over ten years (1969-80). The bells had only been chimed in livin=
g memory.

Part of the reason given locally was the stability or otherwise of the to=
wer. Inside there was a very big arch adjoining the Nave. On the other side=
, facing the outside was an equally large stained glass window. This meant =
that the tower was virtually standing on the remaining two sides.=20

I know that the wheels had long since been removed and any chance of tryi=
ng to ring them went with them.

As this topic arose out of Briants bells and St Alkmunds, it should be n=
oted that one of the Abbey bells was recast by Briant around 1812/13 (? 4th=
). Briant cast 19 bells during that period for Shropshire - the two eights =
at St Alkmund Shrewsbury and Condover - the two trebles for High Ercall - a=
nd the recast bell for the Abbey.=20

Those in touch with Ernie Willcox of Shrewsbury might get more detailed i=
nformation from him.

Richard Stevens.=20

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20