[Bell Historians] Bells of Shrewsbury Abbey

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Thu Aug 15 11:34:02 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

From: Chris Pickford=20

> Just to point out that Alan Glover is actively exploring Shrewsbury bells=
- when he's in the UK - and doing a lot of historical=20
> digging. He's undoubtedly the best person to contact for information.

Yes - Alan has provided me with some useful information on St Chad's for th=
e 12s website.

> Interesting to learn of the present state of things at St.Alkmund's. In t=
he nearby (former) church of St.Julian, the six bells hang=20
> from chains - suspended from the old ringing room floor.

Yes, I think I put some pictures of them on the pictures page as well. They=
still have their clappers (and I think they still have their canons) and c=
an be clocked by ropes which go from the flights of the clappers to the Ell=
acombe rack on the wall. The tower is now converted into a house for the ow=
ners of the craft market which is in the body of the church.