Mears tune-ups.

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Fri Aug 16 10:15:21 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

> I would have thought a ring by Mears from the Victorian age are worth
pursuing. As has been proved time and time again, bells of this type respond
very well to modern tuning.
[Andrew Aspland] Desperately trying to think of a few examples up here!
Aysgarth (Mears 1829) have made a pleasant enough ring having been G&Jed.
Yet Sharow (Mears 1825) are very sour having been Taylored (the two Warner
trebles don't help!). Woodlesford (Mears 1870) are more mellow (Taylored).
However I do remember being impressed by a ring of nine(!) near Norwich
(Felmingham?) where the old middle six were 19C Mears and had tuned up
remarkably well and made better by being topped and tailed by modern WBF
bells. Not enough evidence for "time and time again"!
Do you think the WBF could do cheap retunes on all those old-style bells
they produced from 1897 to the 1930s? Whilst looking for the above
information I found:
East Witton
1 Mears & Stainbank 1915
2 Mears & Stainbank 1915
3 T Mears II 1812
4 T Mears II 1812
5 Mears & Stainbank 1915
6 Mears & Stainbank 1930

which are pretty horrible really. If only they had gone to the other place!
Baldrick