[Bell Historians] Mears tune-ups.

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Fri Aug 16 18:07:02 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

> However I do remember being impressed by a ring of nine(!) near Norwich (=
Felmingham?) where the old middle six were 19C=20
> Mears and had tuned up remarkably well and made better by being topped an=
d tailed by modern WBF bells

They topped and tailed the ring and replaced the 4th (of six) to keep them =
in a Major key, but hung the old 4th fir ringing as a sharp 5th so that the=
y could still ring the original six.

I think this proves that a decent tenor on the end of a mediocre ring can i=
mprove things considerably, which is why I can never understand why some ol=
d-style rings have had their tenors recast old-style to match - a true har=
monic bell would probably make them sound much better. The same doesn't fol=
low when adding a treble, though. The result is 'ping' on the front!