[Bell Historians] St Julian, Shrewsbury

john ketteringham john.ketteringham at n...
Fri Aug 16 18:33:45 BST 2002

charset="US-ASCII"

Thanks David! Sorry Our emails to the list crossed!

What makes you say they are grotty? What constitutes grotty?

>From : John Ketteringham of Lovely Lincoln in Lincolnshire, England

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.ketteringham/

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bryant [mailto:djb122 at y...]
Sent: 16 August 2002 17:23
To: Bell Historians
Subject: [Bell Historians] St Julian, Shrewsbury

JRK has asked me for details of the above bells and church, so I'm sending
them to the list as they may be of interest to others as well.

According to Pevsner, the red sanstone base of the tower is of C.1200, the
upper parts in lighter coloured stone are Perp. The body of the church was
rebuilt in 1749-50 (architect Thomas Farnolls Prichard). In 1846 houses
between the south side of the church and the street were demolished, and
the
south elevation was 'beautified' as it was now visible.

Bells (details from Walters)

Inscriptions.

Treble
I.B.: MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON, 1868
Waist:: MY GENTLE NOTE SHALL LEAD THE CHEERFUL SOUND PEACE TO THIS PARISH,
MAY GOODWILL ABOUND

2nd
I.B. (as 1)
Waist: OUR VOICES TELL WHEN JOY OR GRIEF BETIDE MOURN WITH THE MOURNDER,
WELCOME HOME THE BRIDE

3rd
I.B. (as 1)
Waist: MAV ALL IN TRUTH AND HARMONY REJOICE TO HONOUR CHURCH AND QUEEN
WITH
HEART AND VOICE

4th
I.B. (as 1)
PROSPERITY ATTEND OLD ENGLAND'S SHORE LET SHREWSBURY FLOURISH NOW AND
EVERMORE

5th
I.B.: MEARS & STAINBANK, FOUNDERS, LONDON
Waist: FOR MERCIES UNDESERV'D THIS PEAL IS RAISED SO MAY THEY NAME O GOD!
THROUGH CHRIST BE PRAISED J. J. P. CHRISTMAS 1868.

Tenor
I.B. (as 5)
Waist: WITH DEEPEST TONE I CALL TO CHURCH AND PRAYER AND BID THE LIVING
FOR
THE GRAVE PREPARE THESE BELLS WERE RENEWED AT THE COST OF A PARISHIONER
1868. REVD. JAMES COLLEY, MA., VICAR. P. H EVANS J. BLUNT. }
CHURCHWARDENS.

There were given by J. J. Peele (cf 5th). They were rehung by Barwell in
1908, and so far as I could see by peering into the gloom they still have
their canons. Diameters 28, 30, 32, 35, 38 and 42 inches, weights 4-2-26,
5-2-8, 6-2-12, 7-1-19, 10-0-17 and 13-1-0, They replaced a 1706 ring by
Abraham Rudhall.

The church was declared redundant in 1976 (Ex. Inf. Lichfield Diocesan
Office), and the building and its bells were subsequently sold for use as
an
arts and craft market, with the body of the church remaining undivided and
stalls set up in it in rows.

The tower was converted into a house for the owners of the centre, which
necessitated the removal of the bells. They are now hung from chains in
two
rows of three from the riniging chamber floor, still with their clappers.
ropes run from their clappers into the Ellacombe rack on the wall of the
ground floor stage of the tower.

I attach a couple of photos of the church whcih I took a few years ago. As
will be seen, the louvres have been removed and the belfry windows glazed
over.

David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To
unsubscribe from the list send an email to
bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com