[Bell Historians] St Julian, Shrewsbury

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Fri Aug 16 18:35:27 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Not having rung on them, I can't say for definite that they are grotty, but=
my experience of 1860s bells by Mears (and indeed by most founders) is tha=
t they sound foul.

Of course it is difficult to define grotty - most but not all true harmonic=
bells are good, and some old-style bells are also good, but fundamentally =
I think that 'grotty' is when they sound nasty, which, it is probably fair =
to say, the majority of mid-Victorian rings do. Of course there are excepti=
ons, but offhand I can't think of any 1860s rings famed for their fine tone=