[Bell Historians] Chime clapper play

D Cawley dave at d...
Mon Aug 26 23:22:42 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

1. As Carl said, in connection with tracker bar/roller transmission, so wi=
th directed quadrants, it is essential to ensure that everything is lined u=
p correctly. It is sensible to have two people present so that one can dep=
ress the clavier baton whilst the other is working by the bell. Check that=
the quadrant stanchion is tight on its bearer and that it is correctly ali=
gned with the direction of the clapper.

2. If the quadrant seems to be correctly aligned with the proper direction=
of the clapper, and all seems not to be well, uncouple the clapper from th=
e flight wire (or the latter from the quadrant) so that the clapper hangs v=
ertically and centrally in the bell. Check that it does. Check also that t=
he crown staple nut is tight, and if not tighten it with your assistant hol=
ding the clapper against the bell in line with the direction of the quadran=
t.

3. With the clapper hanging free and the staple bolt tightened, check in t=
he usual way for excessive wear in the hinge pin / bush. Reconnect.

4. Have your assitant depress the baton to see that all is working well abo=
ve. With regard to the fall of the baton within the clavier, check the adju=
ster above the clavier, if fitted.

Hope this helps cure or locate the problem. For conventional transmission =
follow Carl's advice in the way indicated.

If this doesn't work, send for David Potter, and if he can't fix it then it=
's a job for Taylors.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20